[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:06:43 -0700 (PDT)
I believe your example photos illustrate the shortcomings of
Matrix Metering with a comparative database.  MM works extremely
well *MOST* of the time, but when it screws up, it's a doosie.
Why?  Because of the artificial intelligence attempts to
determine what the scene and lighting condition is and applies
"rules" for the metering to follow.

Olympus, with the "ESP" functionality in various camera models
is based on a "fuzzy-logic" (their words) that works in a much
simpler fashion and without the comparative database.  It
assumes center=subject, surrounding=background.  Nikon's
metering may attempt, with the AF lenses, to determine forground
and background distance and brightness.

The problem with program-mode, matrix metering and comparative
exposure databases is that when they go wrong you have no clue
why.  It took me forever to figure out that a polorizer threw
out the matrix metering on my M*nolta A1 because it based part
of the intelligence on maximum EV in the scene.

I guess the moral of the story is to use manual mode.

Hey, I was just thinking...  The bum sample photo could have
happened if the camera thought it needed to fire the flash but
for some reason it didn't.  Another thought, was the lens set to
manual focus?

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail