[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:16:45 -0500
Agreed. The second shot was my fault and the camera did just fine. The
highs are gone mostly because of my +0.3ev setting. Had I checked the
histogram I would have seen it no question.

That leaves with the first shot that's roughly 2 stops underexposed even
with identical camera settings that include the same +0.3 ev comp.
Again, had I checked the histogram I would have seen that too but
ke-rist, I'd expect the camera to be able to meter well enough in such a
flat lighting situation that I shouldn't have to.

Since I shot this file raw, I just pulled it in to Nikon Capture and
looked at it. If I add the adjustment limit of +2.0 ev to this file that
already had +.3 ev added at exposure time I've just brought the
histogram off the dark limit and basically the exposure appears normal.
IOW, the D100 got it wrong by about 2.5 stops on what I consider an
easy, low contrast scene. I'm underwhelmed. I think something is broken
although as I've said, I'm not the only person to have seen this
behavior with this model camera. 2 friends have D100's that act in a
similar fashion.

You guys are helping me here even if is seems like you're not and I do
appreciate it. There are enough knowledgeable people on this list that I
consider it a good place to do a reality check...

--
Jim