[OM] Re: Photography as a hazardous avocation

Subject: [OM] Re: Photography as a hazardous avocation
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:22:19 -0500
I'm surprised he wasn't arrested for photon genocide.  The poor little
things were simply zinging through the universe minding their own business
when his lenses sucked them in and his film ensnared them kicking and
screaming like flies in their death throes on flypaper.  What a vile and
dastardly deed!

Paranoia in its finest hour.

There have been a few photographers arrested by local paranoid zealots . .
. and a couple lawsuits against local government for grossly overstepping
the bounds of "probable cause" and 1st Amendment infringement have either
won big or been settled big.  If there were others out there in the same
location with cameras plainly visible and they weren't being dealt with
just as equally, he'd win point #1 on "selective enforcement" alone.

What a world we now live in.  Look like everyone else, act like everyone
else, think like everyone else, and be like everyone else, or suffer dire
consequences for non-conformity and daring to be different.

BTW, there is increased sensitivity about anyone hanging around rail yards,
rail crossings, rail bridges, etc.  The area on both sides of tracks is
part of the railroad's easement owned by the railroad . . . it's not public
land.  How far on each side depends on their easement rights.  Rail
photographers, who were at one time seen as "friends" of the railroads are
being increasingly harrassed for being near a set of rails.

I'm going to turn my brain off now; it's just to much work to think for
myself anymore.

-- John Lind