[OM] Re: OM4 strange electronic buzzing sound

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4 strange electronic buzzing sound
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:58:23 -0400
I mentioned that possibility a couple of years ago. But who has
really got the time to spend on it when that time could be spent
making photographs. My solution is to stockpile a few extra
bodies and hope they don't stop making 357 batteries and film.
The metering circuits of the OM-4t is the real trick. I'm sure with
todays electronics, much could be improved, calibration without
pots, rear curtain sync, .... but in the end you really don't end up
with that much more. Life moves on, we get older...

When I got technical, a teacher told me to just go take some pictures.
And thanks to John and Clint, who probably aren't getting any younger
either, who help keep it all going.

Wayne

At 08:44 AM 7/15/2004, you wrote:

>Is there enough demand to develop our own replacement circuits? I don't
>know how much the circuits changed over the years and whether or not
>they use the same chips as the originals, but USD$250 sounds extreme. I
>currently am working on a 32bit CPU board running linux, 32M of RAM and
>Flash, and they will cost roughly USD$120 to manufacture. Texas
>Instruments make a nice little chip called the MSP430 which comes in
>many variants and is designed for ultra low power applications.
>Something like that could incorporate most of the functionality in
>software. I reckon a USD$40.00 part could be met. Of course, FCC and CE
>EMC compliance would need to be addressed, so maybe the cost of testing
>to those standards outweighs the development effort.

The material cost is not the issue when you figure in time and effort.