[OM] Re: M18V Control grip with NiCds

Subject: [OM] Re: M18V Control grip with NiCds
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:10:49 -0400
This project seems like a lot of work for little advantage; that being only the
saved charging time.  Would the little charger that came with the 15V pack be
able to handle that load of all 12 batteries if you could get it wired right?

Also, why use NiCad's these days?  The new NiMH 2300's would seem to be better
choices, no?  I was never able to get decent frame rates with NiCad's on my
Control Grip 1; Alkalines were so much more powerful.

I like the suggestion to cobble together commercial cells to get increased
voltage, but that too looks dangerous to the electronics in both the Control
Grip or the MD1/2, which aren't exactly robust after as much as 30 yrs of age.

Skip