[OM] Re: A particularly American habit, was Photography as a ...

Subject: [OM] Re: A particularly American habit, was Photography as a ...
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:25:36 +0100
You might call them rhetorical questions (conditional), but I might
call them confusing when the person talking to you uses them repeatedly
and they lose the power of their rhetoric ;-)

You may call them such (indicative), since it's a free internet ;-)

But I got used to it pretty quickly, and the technique does have a
certain, naive charm ... :-)

Chris

On 16 Jul 2004, at 17:16, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> What are they called? I think they are called rhetorical questions.
>

> Winsor
> A typical American who is flummoxed by the subjunctive and understands
> no difference between may and might. Maybe.

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.

+44 (0)7092 251126