[OM] ( OM) cataloging of photos etc

Subject: [OM] ( OM) cataloging of photos etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 02:14:21 +1200
Hi all

A few days ago somebody asked about cataloguing photos.

This is the system I use and it works very well for me.

Every shot I take is logged in a record book (hard-cover, 4½ x 7¼ inches,
accounting columns printed). I admit I am not now as fussy as I used to be
about recording every shot as taken (I suppose the older I get the less
posterity there seems to be left to record it for), but at least when stuff
comes back from being processed I fill in the main details such as date,
camera & lens, locality, subject and whatever else I can remember.

Here's what goes in this book

Every page is headed with the consecutive number of the roll of film; B for
B&W, CN for Colour negative, C for colour positive. So the current one could
be CN199.

The columns are headed from L to R Left page first
Date, Locality (this tends to be a rather spartan column so I add other
comments here such as tripod details, self-timer or not, filters etc), Hour &
weather, Exposure value (from Weston Master III days), lens (camera body
at the top of this column)

RHS page

Exposure number ( these run consecutively from the first shot of each kind I
took 50? years ago with my first 35mm camera), Subject,  Aperture, Shutter
Speed, Focus.

I then enter the data into a computer database. I use a DOS indexing
database called Archivist which is brilliant and blindingly fast.

The data fields I have created are:-  (Just the words to the left of the = sign
matter in this context - the rest are command characters)  Serial number is
the frame unique number.

Serial number(s)=(concat)number
Film number=(concat)film number
Subject description=(free)description
Title=(free)title
Year=(page)year
Photographer=(name)photographer
Country=(free)country
Location=(free)location
Main keyword=(free)Main keyword
Aux keywords=(name)Aux keywords
Attributes-ambience=(name)attributes
Mood=(name)mood
Colour=(name)colour
Pattern=(Name)pattern
Graphic=(free)graphic
Aerial=(free)aerial
Cropped=(free)cropped
Model release=(free)MR
Marketability=(concat)marketability

Archivist indexes EVERY word in the database except "stop words" such as
a, and, the, of, etc.

So, if I do a search for "daffodil" it will bring up every record which has
that
word, and I can go to every photo for which I have entered that descriptor..

Probably if I were starting again from scratch I would use a Windows based
program that does the same, and one that comes to mind has the name
"Ask Sam" by Seaside Software Inc.

http://www.asksam.com/
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2C1759%2C485343%2C00.asp

Hope that helps.