[OM] Re: OM4 strange electronic buzzing sound

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4 strange electronic buzzing sound
From: Matt Boland <mattboland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:31:14 +1000
I guess I like photography AND engineering. I was just thinking that we
could do better than USD$250.00 for an OM4Ti circuit. And I would get to
make the shadow and hi-light buttons into -1/3,+1/3 stop buttons.

W Shumaker wrote:
> I mentioned that possibility a couple of years ago. But who has
> really got the time to spend on it when that time could be spent
> making photographs. My solution is to stockpile a few extra
> bodies and hope they don't stop making 357 batteries and film.
> The metering circuits of the OM-4t is the real trick. I'm sure with
> todays electronics, much could be improved, calibration without
> pots, rear curtain sync, .... but in the end you really don't end up
> with that much more. Life moves on, we get older...
>
> When I got technical, a teacher told me to just go take some pictures.
> And thanks to John and Clint, who probably aren't getting any younger
> either, who help keep it all going.
>
> Wayne
>
> At 08:44 AM 7/15/2004, you wrote:
>

>>Is there enough demand to develop our own replacement circuits? I don't
>>know how much the circuits changed over the years and whether or not
>>they use the same chips as the originals, but USD$250 sounds extreme. I
>>currently am working on a 32bit CPU board running linux, 32M of RAM and
>>Flash, and they will cost roughly USD$120 to manufacture. Texas
>>Instruments make a nice little chip called the MSP430 which comes in
>>many variants and is designed for ultra low power applications.
>>Something like that could incorporate most of the functionality in
>>software. I reckon a USD$40.00 part could be met. Of course, FCC and CE
>>EMC compliance would need to be addressed, so maybe the cost of testing
>>to those standards outweighs the development effort.
>

> The material cost is not the issue when you figure in time and effort.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Matt Boland (BEng)                  Phone  : 61 7 5594 9824
R&D Engineer                        Mobile : 61 4 0835 1421
Odyx Corporation Pty Ltd            email  : mattboland@xxxxxxxxxxx