[OM] [OT] Caution regarding visits to the USS Constitution

Subject: [OM] [OT] Caution regarding visits to the USS Constitution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:16:44 -0400
Orin Keplinger suggested a visit to the USS Constitution while in
Boston.  The last time a went there I took my father who was in town
visiting from Las Vegas.  That was perhaps a year or more ago, but after
9/11. We were moderately but not totally surprised to find an airport
type security inspection station.

There were no rules posted about what was acceptable and, after waiting
in line about 20 minutes for our turn with the inspector, we were
astonished to discover (just like the airlines) that the pen knives we
were both carrying in our pockets would be confiscated if we continued
on to visit the ship.  I thought surely there must be a way to drop them
into a labeled  envelope and recover them on the way out... but no.

There was no way we were going to give up our knives.  The alternative
was to go back to where the car was parked and leave them there but that
would have taken 10-15 minutes at which point we'd likely have to wait
in line another 20 minutes.  Both of us have been on the Constitution
several times and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Moral of the story:  If you're a visitor without a car make sure to
leave your pen knives and other deadly weapons in the hotel.  Last I
heard they're not being confiscated there yet.

Chuck Norcutt