[OM] Re: Provia 400F

Subject: [OM] Re: Provia 400F
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:24:24 +1000

> Scanning higher grain film can be a
> problem with some scanners, but possibly not with the Epson
> 2450 scanner. I've also seen halo effects around bright areas
> next to dark. The 400f emulsion is probably thicker? I would
> certainly give 400f a try. The 2450 may have some difficulty
> pulling out shadow detail. I think you need a higher
> resolution scanner to see what 100f is really capable of.
> Increased grain does not necessarily mean less sharpness.

Based on my experience with the Epson 2450 I'd have to agree with Wayne,
grain probably won't be an issue as the scanner doesn't optically
resolve up to the rated 2400 ppi.  Shadow detail will also be a problem
for any shots with a large tonal range, try to reduce the tonal range if
possible.

...Wayne