[OM] Re: Olympus C-755 Digicam

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus C-755 Digicam
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:25:08 -0700
Thanks to all who replied, I will try to address as many of the points
as I can.

First, Thanks to Moose for the reviews I had seen some of them but many
were new to me.  As far as the Hot shoe goes it is clearly there and
"looks" like it would take a standard flash but I have not tried one or
even had the chance to read the manual to find out for sure.  It has a
central large contact and four smaller contacts in a unique layout that
clearly isn't for a "T" type flash.

George,

My wife is not like most women, or I wouldn't have married her, but no
offense taken either.  Her main reasons for looking to digital is the
"instant feedback" and ability to selectively print the results.  Our
family film usage tends to be three to four rolls a week, but many times
we will want three or four of some prints and only one of others.
Currently we do mostly double prints unless we know there is no need.

She is unlikely to do any post processing, but if she only got one shot
that somehow isn't quite right she might ask me to do some.  As far as
print size is concerned we get a lot of 4 x 6's but also routinely have
20 to 30 a year printed at 5 x 7 and occasionally even a few 8 x 10's.

I have seen a few of the direct camera to printer setups and there is a
disconnect in the way the printer numbers images relative to the camera.
  Usually the printer does not number any frames included in a movie.
Not a major problem but it has caused my parents to make the wrong print
more than few times.  I am pretty sure one those are not on our horizon.

Wayne, Winsor,

If the camera were for me I would probably agree with you, but again
this is very much a price driven decision and I would stick with the
"toys" I have.  If it were up to me solely I wouldn't be asking these
questions.  However I value my place in our happy household and at the
price point offered, this may be a good solution, especially if an
existing flash is really an option.  Any more info on this will be a big
help.

Thanks to all for the input, I have until July 31st to make up our mind.
That is when the $100 rebate expires.  We may even buy it and see how it
works, its Costco after all, returning it should not be a major hassle.
  I'll have to check on the specific details before we decide.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California