[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: Michael Darling <miked2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:02:20 -0400
On 7/22/04 6:59 PM, "Doug" <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've often wondered if the decline of film has been accelerated as a result of
> 9/11 and the increased security hassles that go with it. If someone thinks
> their pictures are a risk from xray or whatever, that may be just enough
> reason to move to digital, where they might have waited 5 years otherwise.

Doubtful. Average camera carrying travelers are either ignorant to the
so-called "dangers" of luggage scanners (until they read the signs), or are
like us and overly paranoid about them already. Seems to be my experience,
anyway.

Digital just appeals to people on so many levels that film never could. All
us geeks love waiting for film to come back from the lab, or watching a
print come to life in the darkroom. The digital hordes may never experience
that, but when I think about all my time wasted alone in a dark room
watching seconds click away from my life, I constantly question why I keep
going back.

-mike