[OM] Re: MF, LF

Subject: [OM] Re: MF, LF
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:07:11 -0700
cygnus wrote:

>LF refers to cameras that shoot 4x5" or larger film, the most common being
>4x5" and 8x10".  My Deardorrf, however, is actually a 5x7 body (I also have a
>5x7 back) with a 4x5 reducing back.  I also have an 8x10 Deardorff that I'll
>probably be selling since I really don't see myself shooting 8x10 any time in
>the forseeable future.  Friend of mine also has an 11x14 camera, an 8x20, and
>a couple others.
>
>MF (medium format) generally refers to cameras that shoot 120 film, either in
>square format like Hasselblad or twin-lens cameras like my Mamiya C330, or
>6xi7cm format like Pentax or some others.
>
>At least, that's the way I understand all of it.

Pretty good except for a bit of missing history. Folding and box cameras
using 620 and 120 film and the later development of interchangeable lens
120 cameras is one branch. Another once important and popular branch was
field cameras with limited movements and full movement view cameras
using 2.75"x3.75" cut film in holders and later also in film packs. I
believe there was a time long ago when many photographers would have
considered 4x5 to be MF.

Moose