[OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films

Subject: [OM] Re: sensible course of action for getting print films into computer
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:40:40 +0100 (BST)
> I was just noodling about in Vuescan and Ed Hamrick's site. I see that
> in the Pro version, one may create profiles for any film using an IT8
> target. He also has a link to a source of IT8 targets of many types that
> is much cheaper than Kodak.
>
> I remembered some old posts from you complaining of the lack of profiles
> in Vuescan for the Fuji films you like and thought others might be in
> the same boat, so I thought I'd post the info to the list.

Its very difficult to create the profile. I got a target from the german
link.
to create the profile requires even colour matched lighting so I bought a
copy stand and two colour corrected 6500k bulbs its a pain in the **** to
get the lighting consistent.
Also I only had a standard 50mm F1.8 lens and there was enough barrel
distortion that I could not align the it8 mask with the scan...
So I tried my tamron 90mm sp macro... too much pin cushion.
I tried every lens I had too much distortion on all of them.
I tried to use photoshop elements to correct the distortion but I just
could not get it right.
I am now looking for a good lens with no distorion...

Regards
James