[OM] Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Q. for E-1 Owners
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:12:15 -0500
On the road to digital, I have decided that I will wait for the next
iteration of the E-1 to make a move to a d-SLR.  From where you sit now
with your E-1 already in hand, I wonder if you might have any special
insight for someone in my situation.

I would like to get started with a more serious digicam than the freebee
that came with my last purchase from Dell.  I'm looking for something to
take the place of what I am now mainly using print film for.  I'm not
really looking for more than a 4X optical zoom. I've narrowed my choices
to the C-5060 and C-8080.

I think I would prefer the C-8080 but I almost wonder if it is too much
camera for my purposes.  I do expect to get a E-(x) someday and I just
want a digicam in the meantime capable of getting some keepers that will
also allow me to learn to navigate the tool set and be ready to work the
E-(x) with some aplomb when the time comes.  Still, I want more than a
throwaway camera (and I don't consider any of the Camedia's to be such).

The C-8080 is already 2/3 the cost of the E-1, but then the C-5060 is
3/4 the cost of the C-8080.  Both seem to be great cameras. I need a
nudge off the fence!  I guess I think the C-5060 is what I need, but I
like the C-8080 better but fear it is close enough to E-(x) quality to
make it more than I should buy at this time.

Joel W.