[OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:10:51 -0700
Now we're getting WAY off topic, but I agree completely. And those
finalizers set to yield super-hot CD masters even if they clip the
waveforms in the process make me sick. Screw the fidelity as long as
the CD is louder than everyone else's. Nobody wants to learn microphone
techniques. That's too hard. Much better to take a line in and process
it to death to get a sense of ambience. I do my little films in mono
because even though I've got a decade of doing live music for
television I understand what an undertaking a good stereo mix can be
and I am working hard enough to learn how to be a better filmmaker
without adding the post time of trying to deliver a beautiful stereo
soundfield. My peers will come in with 5.1 mixes, though, and it's
always crap. A good 5.1 mix can be a work of art, but just adding
reverb processing and hard pans to sound effects in post isn't art,
IMO.

That's the thing with technology, though. It can either liberate you
and allow you to be more expressive in your chosen medium or it can
become a crutch and a cheap substitute for actually knowing anything
about the craft. We're at a point right now where a lot of the people
teaching don't even seem sure of the difference because they haven't
had their hands on the newest toys enough to be able to critically
evaluate the results that are being turned in using those technologies.