[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:11:33 +0100
The 8mp "bridge" cameras got a bad review in Amateur Photographer a few
months ago.  There was also a group review which, as I recall, put the
Nik*n above the others, but only just.  The reviewers' conclusion was
that, since they must all be using the same, Sony, chip, the same
problem afflicts them all: noise.  One result of the noise is that the
efforts of the processor to eliminate it produce ill-defined out of
focus elements in an image.

Chris

On 23 Jul 2004, at 20:15, W Shumaker wrote:

> I'm not sure if I would prefer an 8080 over a 5060. I want clean
> pixels over lots of them. The 5060 is quite responsive compared
> to the 5050. I have not handled the 8080. Do you like electronic
> viewfinders? $984 versus $539 at B&H. Is it worth the difference?
> 5x 28-140 versus 4x 28-105 equivalent zooms. If the sensor
> on the 8080 is bigger, it may be a winner.
>
> The E-1 shoots like an SLR with nice optical viewfinder compared
> to the above. I find that essential, as you can judge DOF better, and
> you can tell where the thing is focusing. You cannot tell what the
> above cameras are focusing on. Plus you can tweak the E-1 focus
> like a real camera. The above you have to guess based on distance.
>
> The next iteration of the E-1 may be more pixels, but will they be
> as low noise. I would prefer 800 iso and 5 megapixels compared
> to 200-400 iso and 8 megapixels. For most shooting, unless you
> tripod mount, stop the wind, shoot a flat subject with no dof, before
> you push out of the 5 megapixel range. Infinity focused subjects
> may be the exception. <- speaking for myself that is.
>
> With 8 mp your write times to flash will be slower, more offline
> storage/picture if you shoot raw. You may find when E-(x) comes
> out, that you go for a discounted E-1. But, we don't know what
> E-x will be like yet.
>
> Wayne
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker