[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:00:22 -0700
Wilcox, Joel F wrote:

>So I ordered a C-5060 from B&H this morning..... I guess one of my learning
>points will be to find out how significant the slow RAW write time is going to
>be to me.

There are really 2 ways to work. One is using RAW and finishing the
image in an image editor. The second is to shoot in the highest quality
JPEG and adjust the camera and presets to the best image quality for
your tastes right out of the camera. You can do both, of course,
depending on the subject and circumstances. For many purposes, you may
find that RAW just isn't needed. Then the RAW write time doesn't matter
for those shots. .

>Should this have an impact on the kind of "digital film" I buy?

Yes, it could. Lexar has developed and is pushing what they call WA
(Write Acceleration Technology), where added smarts in the camera work
with the card to speed up write times. The E-1 and 5060 are cameras that
include WA support. More detail here
<http://www.lexarmedia.com/digfilm/index_cf.html>. I can't endorse from
personal experience, as I don't have a camera that supports WA, but if
I'd bought an E-1, I'd have popped for the extra $15-20 for a 1gb WA
card (vs. a SanDisk Ultra II.).