[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:38:43 -0400
Ah, but the craft of making the first boomerang took a lot of work.  When a
later generation needs to make a new boomerang because the first one is
broken... or they want to know how to make a better boomerang... what then?

The better I understand the fundamentals of something, the more useful it (a
tool, a practice, whatever) becomes for me, and the more likely I am to use it
to it's full capacity.  Or to build a new one that breaks new ground.
Photography is art AND craft, the two cannot be separated, be it of the
analogue or digital variety.  For proof, just go to DP Review and read the
posts of those who are struggling with craft because they don't yet understand
fundamentals.  Hence, they rarely make a meaningful artistic statement.

Earl