[OM] Re: recent experience in Boston, USA

Subject: [OM] Re: recent experience in Boston, USA
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:47:56 +0100
By chance, I came across a report of UK practice in this area (Nov 2003)
which emphasises that if you want hand-checking, you need to arrange in
advance (in the context of a report citing the tale of a reader who had his
on-the-spot request refused outright):

"The British Airports Authority (BAA) stresses that it is now more important
for photographers carrying 'professional' film (previously stated by BAA to
be film of ISO 800 and above) to make special arrangements for screening
their equipment in advance. In a statement to AP, a BAA spokesperson added:
?BAA's policy on photographic equipment remains unchanged. The
recommendation is for airline passengers to carry all normal undeveloped
film in their hand luggage, not in their hold (checked in) luggage. As the
security environment has changed in recent years it is important for
photographers carrying professional film to try to make special arrangements
with their airline or with the airport in advance of their journey. Requests
for hand searches for professional film will still normally be accommodated
but the final decision in all individual cases rests with the on-duty
security supervisor.? "

The same article in AP mentioned tests carried out five years ago:

"Tests carried in out 1999 (See AP News 21 August 1999) by BAA and the
British Photographers' Liaison Committee vindicated hand baggage X-ray
scanners for all normal film types up to ISO 400. However, the tests showed
that film of ISO 800 and above can be affected when passed more than eight
times through the hand luggage X-ray machines - though the change is barely
noticeable to the naked eye and does not become clearly visible until film
is exposed around 32 times. The 1999 advice stated that ?processed? film can
be exposed to an almost unlimited amount of X-rays, 'without suffering any
iII effects whatsoever from hand baggage machines'. It also gave the
all-clear on digital storage media. The 1999 tests covered B&W and colour
film, including medium format and APS emulsion. More than 400 rolls of film
were tested with speeds ranging from ISO 100 to 3200."

I don't offer a view - but suggest what would likely be the view of the
X-ray operators asked for a hand-search.

Piers