[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:47:08 -0700
Exactly the same. Expose for the highlights. If they are preserved you
can pull the rest into balance if you have to. Usually it just falls
into place though. I was seriously interested in the C-8080 for a while
and looked at lots of photos on dpreview by both it and the E-1. I
think the exposure system is similiar on the 5060. There is a big
tendency for what film shooters would call thin exposures especially
using the matrix metering. A little pastel and some blown highlights.
Most of the reviews mistakenly mention low saturation. They are
mistaken in my opinion. It is slight overexposure. There is discussion
of it on the E-1 forum. The most successful shooters seem to ignore the
matrix metering. They use center weighted and use a minus 1/3 or 2/3
stop exposure adjustment, or just use the multiple spot meter.

The histogram in the camera is invaluable. You want to get all the data
as close to the right axis as possible without going over it. You do
not want to have to bring exposure up after it is taken. You will get
noise in the shadows even at the basic ISO. Bringing it down is not
damaging if the highlights are intact. Here is a little more detailed
discussion:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/
understanding-histograms.shtml

You can see the difference yourself between raw and jpeg if you take an
exposure of a low contrast subject in each mode and purposely
underexpose it. Adjust the exposure and contrast  of both of them and
look at the histogram in photoshop. The raw histogram will look smooth
next to the jagged jpeg one. And that translates to abrupt transitions
in sky color for instance. Do the same thing with optimum exposure like
you would for slide film and the histograms will look the same in
photoshop.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA