[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:57:03 -0400
Walt wrote:
>would some '61 or '62 Ektachrome or Kodachrome do?  I'll see what I
>can dig out from the archives.  I wouldn't want to be unfair and use
>something like today's Provia 100F, you know.

I hadn't shot a roll of slide film in quite a while, but just this
month decided to try out this Provia thingie you all seem to mention
so frequently. Good heavens, this is lovely stuff!

I deliberately left the OM-2N's autoexposure alone, as a test of
exposure latitude, and was pleasantly surprised. I would still break
out the spotmeter for critical work though.

I've been going through a lot of old family photos myself
recently--and I'm talking back 100 years here--and continue to be
amazed at the longevity of them, even when stored in utterly
indifferent non-archival conditions. Among the most amazing: my
father's Kodachromes from the 40s. The color remains astoundingly
fresh and lifelike. . .

Off to count the bricks in Walt's photo,

  -- Ross

"Do something foolish once, and it's a mistake.
  Do it repeatedly and it's a philosophy."