[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:55:54 -0400
Another option for laptop users is to slap your memory card into a PC
Card Slot adapter. (Formerly known as PCMCIA slots--"people can't
memorize computer industry acronyms")

Using one on my OS9-era PowerBook, the CF card pops up on the desktop
as another disk icon, remembering its volume name, window
size/position and sort criteria between mountings. It's also a
wonderfully compact, cable- and software-free solution.

Dragging the JPEGs to a target folder on my hard disk seems
reasonably speedy--certainly better than USB 1.1--but I don't have
good numbers to quote. My digi is just 2MP and I'm rarely moving more
than 100MB at a time.

I believe that the CF card standard was actually based on PCMCIA;
which in turn was based on the IDE hard disk standard. (Possibly
someone else remembers the techie details better.)

In any case the CF-to-PC Card adapter is ridiculously cheap--like
US$9--leading me to think it's just a passive carrier without any
circuitry inside. The adapters for other card formats were more like
US$25.

cheers,

   --Ross