[OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4

Subject: [OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:33:50 +0100
I would recommend you try a Tamron SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, and I think I know
someone will recommend other Tamrons of somewhat greater zoom range.  The
35-80 is no longer expensive - about GBP50 would be a good price - and the
worst you should expect is that the zoom ring rubber looks as if it has
stretched a bit, which is easily solved.  So it may be an affordable way to
judge the difeerence between primes and zooms (and to measure the trade-off
you are making). I have used this lens for more than twenty years, with no
complaints.

But if you are getting hexagonal ghosting, it suggests to me that you are
shooting against the light - primes are as susceptible as zooms to that
problem.

Piers