[OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4

Subject: [OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:46:58 +0200

I have all three lenses (actually 2of the SP and the 3.6). I would rate the
Zuiko 3.6 first, and the other two about equal. The 3.6 has a special lens
hood system, that gives a deep hood at 70mm, and a shallow hood at 35mm - I
think that the hood is quite important. When Olympus sold both the 3.6
(2-touch by the way) and the f4, the 3.6 cost twice as much, and was
originally intended for professionals.

Other important things. The 3.6 is constant aperture, which can be quite
important if you use an OM-1 (otherwise you need to adjust the exposure
after you have zoomed). The Tamron SP  focusses to 26mm at 80mm - a lot
closer than the 3.6 (80mm closest focus). The 35-105 gives very useful
telephoto length, and a special close focus mechanism (31mm at all focal
lengths).

Contact me off-list if you are interested in buying any of the three
lenses. I am in Denmark so post to UK is no problem duty-wise.

Roger Key
rdk@xxxxxxxxx

> James,
>
> The 35-70 f4 was designated "S Zuiko" which is Olympus's economy line.
An
> obvious suggestion would be to look at the 35-70 f3.6 or the 35-105
> f3.5~4.5.

James wrote:
Thanks for the information any ideas which would be better quality the
tamron 35-80sp, olympus 35-70 3.6 or the 35-105?

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx