[OM] Re: Drying film (not: Dying film!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Drying film (not: Dying film!)
From: "Nils Frohberg" <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:56:54 +0200 (CEST)
On 7/28/2004, "AG Schnozz" <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Several methods work great:
>[...]
>2. Distilled water. Final rinse is with Distilled water.  Let
>soak for a couple minutes to make sure all deposits are
>disolved/washed off the film.

Ah yes, that's a great idea. I will try that, especially since I have
the impression that the water here is not very clean.

>Either way, I very aggressively shake the water off the film
>(while still on the reel) before hanging. This way most of the
>water remaining will tend to evaporate rather than run down the
>film.

Now here's another idea that I just didn't want to come up with.

>I don't recommend ANY form of detergent as it will leave a
>residue behind.

Obviously several people had this experience. I guess my idea wasn't too
good after all :)

>[...]
>Many people squeegy the film.  A film squeegy can scratch the
>film if a particle gets lodged in the wrong place. Scratching
>the base is repairable with nosegrease, but a scratched emulsion
>will make you cry.

The squeegy that is laying in my darkroom has a little crack in the
rubber part, that's why I was always scared of using it.

>  Squeeging the film with your fingers will
>usually add MORE water to the film and will almost always make
>it spottier.

I never tried this because I always thought that I'd leave more skin
grease than dry spots. (As with nose grease)

>[...]
> The emulsion will remain soft and easily scratched for a
>good 24 hours afterwards. I usually try to go 40+ hours before
>printing up the negs.  If you cut and sleave the film before the
>emulsion is hardened, the plastic will tend to "smooth" the
>surface in strange ways.

OK, maybe my overnight drying wasn't long enough.

To get rid of dust I boid a bit of water an hour before starting the
whole procedure, so that the dust settels with the humid air. I also
don't really have problems with this.

Thanks,

--nils