[OM] FW: macro shots with OM 38/2.8

Subject: [OM] FW: macro shots with OM 38/2.8
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:23:35 -0300
----------
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:46:55 -0700
To: fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: macro shots with OM 38/2.8

Hello Fernando,
    A week ago you posted on the OM list about a photo I had sent you
some time ago.  Thank you for the kind words.  I tried to reply to the
list, but I had my post rejected by the list server.  What I tried to
post follows.
Best wishes,
Dean

Hello OMers,
    Walt rightly pointed out:
"And two T32s?  Isn't that a little overkill?  And that's got to be one
heavy rig!  I've got the Lepp gear, too, but the T28 twins are more than

enough for any situation I've ever encountered."
    Yes, normally, two T32s are overkill.  But I'm not normal.  I use a
home-made fixture to hold two sheets of polarizing sheets in front of
the T32s, and then I use a polarizing filter on the 38/2.8.  This
"cross-polarization" set-up eats up about 4 stops, and even the 2 T32s
can't always be counted on to come up with enough light.
    And, yes, the whole thing is heavy.  The Lepp II is a bit of a pain,

if fact, because the weight of the T32 is beyond the Lepp's capacity to
hold it securely, so I have more than once cursed the whole arrangement
as a flash swings out of place.  What we macro freaks will put up with
to photograph something most folks never see anyway.
    Walt also mentions:
"At any distance the 38/2.8 will focus on, the T28s are plenty powerful
enough to shoot at f/22, with room to spare."
    Be that as it may, I never shoot above f11 with my 38/2.8.  I have
found (YMMV) that diffraction takes over above f11, at least with this
lens, and any increase in depth of field is more than negated by a
decrease in resolution.  And good resolution at f45 with the 135/4.5?
I'd have to see it to believe it.
    Then Fernando added:
"Dean sent me privately, a year ago, "a shot of a mayfly nymph taken
with the OM4T, 38mm lens, and 65-116 tube in a home-made underwater
housing." using two T32s.  Hope not to be disclosing any secret.  Dean
may have good reasons for not having his pictures posted on the web."
    The good reasons are lack of time and lack of experience with
setting up a web site.  I have a number of shots I'd be happy to share.
Some are posted at:
http://www.benthos.org/DigitalLibrary/index.cfm/fuseaction/browse/13/Browse.
htm

    Start with "Baetis eyes" (8th one down) and go through to "Simuliid
larvae."  If you're not too familiar with aquatic insects, remember that

only the "Baetis eyes" was shot in the lab;  the rest are of aquatic
insects photographed while they were at home underwater in streams.
Best wishes,
Dean