[OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4

Subject: [OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:00:50 +0100 (BST)
thanks for the email peoples experiences are allways welcome. I have
sourced a 35-70 3.6 from a list member.

> You comment on the barrel distortion at 35mm. if that is an issue, you
> may be at least somewhat disappointed with any zoom in that range.
its one of the problems but no the main one. The 3.6 rates better than my f4

One of the problems with tests is that they give little or no idea about
likely sample varience.
I agree this is a worry.

Your 35-70/4 sounds worse than has been anecdotally reported by other
members and relatively worse than its test looks relative to the other mid
range zooms.
this is certainly possible, or I am being too fussy. But I use 35-70 range
a lot so it is worth while getting the best lens I can for that range.
whereas I don't use the big tamron 60-300 enough to justify spening much
money in that range.

> Like Tom, my favorite 35-70 is the 3.5-4.5. but is plenty sharp and is
light, tiny, focuses fairly close where size and weight matter. Among
the other reasonably priced Zuikos,
size, weight and focusing distance are not issues for me clarify and
contrast are.

> I think the 35-70/3.6 and the 35-105 are probably the best performing
> lenses. Given your problem with flare, the f3.6 is unique with its self
> compensating hood.
This seems to be the general conclusion hense my sleection of the 3.6

> There are some big physical differences between these lens that might
> also be significant to you:
>
>                  Zuiko      Zuiko    Zuiko    Zuiko    Tamron SP
>                  f3.5-4.5    f2.8    f3.6      f4       f2.8
>                  35-70      35-80    35-70    35-70    35-105
> Length Min        51         99       74       71       98
> Diameter          62         69       67       69       76
> Weight           190        650      400      385      650
> Filter size      49mm       62mm    55mm      55mm     67mm
> Close focus      0.45m      0.6m    0.8m      0.75m    1.0m
> Max. Macro       1:6       1:8.6   1:10.4    1:10     1:7.3
interesting table so atleast the 35-70 f3.6 will fit into my aluminium
camera case!

Thanks for the email
James