[OM] Diafine (was Re: Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?)

Subject: [OM] Diafine (was Re: Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:21:28 -0300

On Jul 29, 2004, at 4:58 AM, christian wrote:

> Hi,
> for temperature unstability and durability of the solutions
> you can try diafine.
> Christian

This reminds me of a question that I had about Diafine. I was wondering
if it's is any more toxic than other developers (say D-76 or XTOL).
Recently I was speaking with someone in the photo department about the
chemistry I have in the basement and I mentioned having some Diafine,
which he wasn't familiar with. I had mentioned that it's a 2 bath
developer and his comment was to be careful with it because a lot of 2
bath developers are very toxic or are a 2 bath developer because the 2
mixtures together are too toxic. My understanding is that with Diafine
no development occurs in bath A, just essentially a "pre-soak" and that
all the development occurs in bath B but that it reacts with solution A
and only works until solution A is exhausted (causing the compensating
effect with Diafine). If that's the case then it doesn't sound like a
toxicity issue but simply a matter that if you were to mix the 2
solutions together then they'd react and all of solution A would be
exhausted resulting in a bottle of exhausted developer.

I haven't mixed up any of my Diafine yet but I just want to get an idea
of how safe or dangerous it is and what types of precautions I should
be taking.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/