[OM] Snappy Ilford MG prints, was woe is me digital...

Subject: [OM] Snappy Ilford MG prints, was woe is me digital...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:23:29 -0700 (PDT)
Ross wrote:
> Which reminds me. . . I revived my B&W darkroom last fall
> after a lapse of 10 years

Welcome back to the fold.

> I've been using Ilford fiber-base variable contrast paper,
> developed
> in their liquid concentrate PQ developer--and have had a
> struggle
> getting the "snap" in images that I hoped for.

Getting Ilford's MGIV fiber to "snap" is hard. I mostly use
Multigrade developer which does help some.  Charcoal-like Dmax
is a bit tougher with Multigrade because of the emulsion's
tendency to "bronze" a little.  I've found that MGIV fiber
definitely needs squeegying before drying. MGIV RC Glossy tends
to scratch too easily if you squeegy it, but the density does
improve a bit.

Several tricks I've learned to get snappier MGIV prints (of any
variety):

1. If you use Multigrade developer, use the stronger dilution.
The week stuff just won't cut it.

2. Add 50-100% development time and adjust exposure accordingly.
For fiber prints, it's supposed to take two minutes to develop
the print.  I'm usually going 3-4 minutes.  Keep that print in
motion--the sequestering agents are a bit too strong for the
emulsion.

3. Selenium tone.  Not for the color, but for the density
increase and longevity.  I use a very thin dilution on almost
everything.  Doesn't change the color, but the bronzing on RC
prints is reduced.

4. Squeegy the prints.

5. Try Forte papers. The emulsion gives a very nice "glow" to
the high values and the low values are rich. Unfortunately,
there is a *lot* of inconsistancy to Forte papers, so each box
will need exposure/grade calibration.

I like graded papers when you can get a negative to match.
However, that doesn't happen as often as I like. Therefore
variable contrast papers fit my style better--especially since
I've added split-grade printing techniques to my stash of
tricks.  But when you do get a good batch of graded papers
(Oriental Seagull is good stuff) the tonal consistancy and
smoothness is obscenely good.

AG

http://messenger.yahoo.com