[OM] Re: Snappy Ilford MG prints, was woe is me digital...

Subject: [OM] Re: Snappy Ilford MG prints, was woe is me digital...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:12:36 -0700 (PDT)
> I agree, you should do it.

Ok, devils advocate here.  IF I were to embark on this (and
don't think that it hasn't been considered as I've worn out a
few keyboards doing technical writing), which direction should
it go?

1. Darkroom techniques.  Problem here is that this is a rapidly
dying technology corner and there are volumes already written on
the subject.  New techniques modeled after digital editing
techniques add a fresh flavour to it, though.  My problem with
writing about this subject is that it's such a personal
expression and EVERYBODY has their own pet film/developer
combination for whatever reason.  I couldn't even make a
statement about safelights without getting reamed out by
somebody with a differing preference.  Furthermore, I'm not a
chemist, nor do I really care too much about the nuances between
FA-1027 and my beloved Ilfotec DD-X.  I've found a system that
WORKS for ME and with it I'm able to produce standardized
results repeatably.  I like "plug and play" solutions and would
suggest them whenever possible. That's why I've embraced the
products from RHDesigns and Ilford.

2. Film Photography.  Hardly.  Not anymore.

3. Digital Photography.  Can you say "Me Too"?

4. Photographic Techniques for the General Purpose Photographer.
 Ok, here is something that might fly.  I could definitely do
something in the genre of John Shaw's books.  I know that I've
learned more from his writings than probably any other writer.
Unfortunately, JS's more recent works are either too technology
specific or rehashes of his earlier stuff.  This ranks pretty
close to the "me too" category.

The problem with photography books is that they are either all
about the writer's portfolio (glorified coffee table books), or
technically so deep as to be incomprehensable or about specific
equipment.  Photo examples are used to illustrate the writings,
but rarely have critical analysis included as to what works, why
it works and what to avoid.  Basic composition, for example:
"here are three pictures that show that you can break the basic
rules of composition."  Ok, fine.  What exactly ARE those rules
and WHY do they exist?  Golden rectangles, for example.  I want
to know WHY a rule exists before I set out to break it. Or how
about Fibonacci numbers.  Incorporating them into drawings and
paintings are important, why not photography too?

Maybe a "text book" style book. Start with basics and build as
you go with each chapter delving deeper into any one subject.
Include "reader exercises" that would be simple to do.

My wife is in the midst of writing a book and I'm *currently* in
the midst of writing a technical how-to (training/reference)
booklets for setting up and running sound systems and video
projection systems so this isn't totally out of the realm of
possiblity.

So, therefore, I could be encouraged into such a venture, but
would be interested in getting opinions into what the book
should look like and cover.  Maybe I could sidebar "Vert and
Toky" into it?  <smile>

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail