[OM] ( OM ) scanning and digital resolution

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) scanning and digital resolution
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:13:25 +1200
Hi all,

I have a question for those of us who have been involved with paper printing;
maybe other printing knowledge applies as well.

I am in the process of writing a book, and I hope it will contain many photos.

The publisher has stipulated B&W only due to the cost of printing colour.

B&W costs no more to print than the equivalent area of text, so the extra
cost of B&W images can be disregarded, except that it brings in more area
of paper.

Which is good, as I hope to have between 1 and 2 images per opening or
page, over somewhere (depending on page format/size) from 100 to 200
pages.

I am now engaging him in meaningful dialogue; I think I have convinced him
there's more to me that a pretty face (HA! We've never met - all our meetings
have been over the phone and by e-mail).  I have been talking to him about
image quality and that I want to use my skills to ensure that these images
are sharp and the contrast and general level of brightness are a big
improvement on some books I've seen recently

He just told me about one aspect of the images he needs, as follows:
 "no less than 300 dpi"

My question is, how do I relate this to pixels, when scanning.

Does one "d" as in "dpi" = 1 pixel?

If not, what does it actually equate to?

Sincerely,

Brian Swale