[OM] Re: Ag Norton's new book

Subject: [OM] Re: Ag Norton's new book
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:36:40 -0400
Perhaps a series of articles like you see in Photo Techniques magazine.
I mean just the knowledge of how you prevent spots on negatives beats
the common wisdom. If I were to just collate the email responses on
this list, the advice is as good as any I've read elsewhere. Galon
Rowell used to make books out of a series of articles from Outdoor Mag.
coupled with some great prints. The short story snippit format. If you
try to become too comprehensive, you will certainly wear out the
keyboard. But if you show a print and just describe the process you
went through to get it, that would be an interesting read. Not many
people these days can learn the craft as you know it. But that does not
mean it is not interesting to read about. Even knowing that digital can
do one thing, film another is good info. I would suggest selecting a
series of prints, digital or film and let them tell the story of how
they came about.

You mentioned a technique in another thread that sounded very similar
to a best friend photographer of mine. He has a place where he places
prints. Sometimes the prints stay a few days, some a week, some a
month, and some even longer. It is an interesting approach to judging
the merit of a photograph. Oliver Gagliani said some times a print on
first sight he dislikes. But he reserves judgement sometimes for
several years, where his opinion might change. Anyway, this is another
technique that you employ and could be the topic of a short essay.

I went to a workshop with Rod Planck last year. My SO felt it had more
of a negative affect on my photography. From the workshop, I felt that
if you really wanted that great photo, you had to have the right
conditions. If the light is not right why bother? So, I have had to unlearn
a few things. Another, the idea that I should edit my film down within
a short time of getting the film back. Maybe that works with nature and
macro shots, where you weed out the bad exposures and blurry images,
but it does not for other types of photography. The technique you
employ, of giving them the time test on the wall could be a short
chapter in itself. So,taking one point at a time, essay format, one
idea, a photo, and the story around it, including technical tradeoffs,
etc. would be a good read. Combine a number of them and you have a
book. That's my suggestion. Hi Ho Silver Nose, and Away...

Wayne

At 06:12 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
>> I agree, you should do it.
>
>Ok, devils advocate here.  IF I were to embark on this (and
>don't think that it hasn't been considered as I've worn out a
>few keyboards doing technical writing), which direction should
>it go?
snip