[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:01:04 +0200
Hi, Moose and all.

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[snip]
>Then looking at noise data for the A2, the E-1 and the D300, it seems
>pretty clear that the D300 has about the same or better noise at 800 as
>the A2 at 64 and 100 and about the same noise at 1600 as the A2 at 200,
>In both cases, about a 3 stop difference. So while the D300 would need a
>faster shutter speed than the A2 to stop blur from camera movement, it
>could do so in all cases by using a higher iso setting and do as well or
>better in noise performance. The big bonus, of course, is that the
>higher shutter speed would also reduce the effect of subject movement,
>unlike the IS.

An interesting point!

>I really want a built-in flash. I don't expect a lot from it, just the
>flexibillity of taking snapshots of grandkids, family and friends and
>some simple fill flash. The E-1 requires additional hundreds of dollars
>for any flash capability at all.

The built-in flash is quite handy, but don't forget it *needs* (due to
E-TTL) a dedicated EF lens to work properly -- our beloved Zuikos won't do!
It will fire, but exposure is likely to be erratic.

>I have tried an E-1, and it had focus speed issues in dim light.

Me too. At least in dim light, the 300D with the much 'slower'
18-55/3.5-5.6 focuses much faster than the E-1 I tried (with the
14-54/2.8-3.5).

>So the confession is that I am the so far happy owner of a 300D. I
>passed on the package lens.

Well done -- the 18-55 is optically so-so, and build quality is *awful*.
OTOH, the 300D body feels much better, although no 'Pro' specs here.

>For casual use, I picked
>up a used 24-85/3.5-4.5 USM lens. It's roughly equivalent to 38-136, a
>good range for me (and I have 18 and 21mm Zuikos).

Nice. However, I'm more of a 'wide' man, and preferred the roughly 28-90mm
equiv. range of the 18-55. Most of the use I give it is to take evilBay
pics (with the built-in flash).

>- One of the drawbacks of the 300D and some of the prosumer cameras is
>that they only have USB 1.1. Downloading raw images is painfully slow.

That Can*n software is awful, I prefer a card reader -- USB 1.1 too, my OS
won't support USB 2.0 :-(  I don't shoot in raw mode, though.

>In dim light and with
>very wide lenses, I think that, like C.H. and others have said, manual
>focus in going to be tricky.

I agree -- it's a quite frecuent situation for me.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>