[OM] Re: Jpanese M42-Adapter for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Jpanese M42-Adapter for OM
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:12:52 +0200
Hi all,

>(http://shizuoka.cool.ne.jp/takaramaru/jupiter.html)
>
>This is the for older Contax D and S and Yashicas with M42 screw mount
>from the looks of it, not the later bayonet mount.

I don't think so -- I've got pretty much the same adapter, and it allows
the use of M42 lenses on C*ntax RTS/Yash*ca bodies.

>Unfortunately, it will still not quite focus to
>infinity. The flange to film distance of the OM mount is 46mm and M42 is
>45.5, so the lens will still be half a mm too far from the film plane.

That's right. OTOH, the flange to film distance of the Y/C mount is 45.5mm,
exactly the same as M42.

>M42 to OM adapters that focus to infinity are readily available. The
>include a negative lens element (or elements) which acts as a mild
>teleconverter, extending the focal length to reach the film plane at
>infinity focus.

Right again, although I have no experiece with these.

>Piers Hemy wrote:
>
>>Don't have a translation, but the adaptor itself is pretty clearly marked
>>"M42 - Yashica/Contax" so perhaps you have found a way to use your Carl
>>Zeiss lenses on OM - without any adaptor!

Most likely the adapter was modified to fit an OM body. I tried to put my
adapter *gently* on an OM body, but no way. However, the Olympus body cap
fits nicely on C*ntax RTS/Yash*ca bodies, thus the modification seems
feasible.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>