[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:31:32 -0700
Moose:  The lack of MF lens compatibility in DSLRs is unfortunately true,
with one great exception.  The Pentax *ist D meters with MF M42 and "K"
lenses with a single button push.  Pentax released a firmware upgrade that
stops the lens down when you push the "green button," meters, and then
opens up again.  It also stops down for shooting.  So you get an aperture
priority mode with one-touch metering.

I recently read a post by an *ist user who said that of all the DSLRs he'd
handled, the *ist seemed to best embody the spirit of the OM cameras.

Obligatory OM content:  Unfortunately, the *ist does not take MF
Zuikos.  If it did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  And if the E-1 treated MF
Zuikos as the *ist does legacy Pentax lenses, I'd buy *it* in a heartbeat,
too.

(Do you hear that, Olympus marketing? . . .  . . .deafening silence)

I mostly shoot with a certain German RF camera these days, but still have
my OM-2 and Zuikos in case I break down and buy a DSLR that will accept them.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA