[OM] OT Removing Epoxy

Subject: [OM] OT Removing Epoxy
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:43:29 -0400
At 3:43 AM +0200 7/29/04, Listar wrote:
>From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] OT Removing Epoxy
>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:34:10 +1000
>

>Dear Zs,
>
>I have an Olympus 7mm manual extension tube onto which somebody has
>epoxied another fitting.  What is the best way to remove the epoxy
>without doing any damage to the 7mm tube.  I don't want to apply too
>much heat (e.g. gas blow torch) for fear of distorting the tube.

The epoxy bond is probably stronger than the metal, so mechanical
removal by force will fail, destroying the adapter.

My recollection is that the adapters contain only metal, so an
overnight soak in methylene-chloride-based paint remover ought to do
it.  I would try the paint remover out on some aluminium foil first,
though.  The health warnings are helpful: if they talk about caustics
like sodium or potassium hydroxide, they will etch aluminium and thus
will damage the adapter.  So, tests are in order.

Heat will also work, as epoxy softens at 250 to 300 degrees F, far
too cool to hurt aluminium.  The best way to do the heating is in an
oven, allowing for a thorough heat-soak.  Torches are a bit tricky.
Leather gloves will be needed to handle the hot metal while scraping
the soft epoxy gel away with a hardwood tool.

Joe Gwinn