[OM] ( OM ) image sizes, dpi, pixels and pixes etc

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) image sizes, dpi, pixels and pixes etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:43:22 +1200
Hi all,

Thanks for the useful info, especially from Jim Brokaw, who gave me another
slant on it and some real hands-on advice.

I DID get a lot of pages via Google, and got some information, but Jim added
a whole new lot.  I'll be asking printers now, not only the publisher who
probably translated for me or maybe has just as hazy an idea as me.

BTW, I have had quite some difficulty in finding out what kinds of file their
Agfa D-Lab puts out. PVI, "my" photo-lab will scan and burn on to CDs, for a
range of file sizes, as expected. Here's a quote from their web-page for
prices, and I followed up with one of their staff who does a lot of scanning.

Medium Quality
1536x1024  pixels open file=4.5mb. Closed file=450kb.  Good 6x4" Print

High Quality JPEG 3000x2000 pixels open file=17mb. Closed file=1.2mb
Print up to 8x10

Please advise what format the open file is.  I doubt it is JPEG.
Is it TIFF? or BMP? or what ??

> Yes, the files are JPEG. The JPEG file type compresses as it saves, and
> decompresses as it opens - hence an 18 megabyte Tiff file, saved as a JPEG
> will be around 3 megabytes as a saved JPEG. When the JPEG is opened again it
> decompresses to the full 18megabytes of course (as the pixel count is still
> the
> same). If you use Photoshop, view the status bar at the bottom when you open a
> JPEG file, and compare it's open size to it's closed size.

Either we are speaking different flavours of English - or he doesn't know.

Cheers, Brian