[OM] Re: Dumb digital question...

Subject: [OM] Re: Dumb digital question...
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:25:17 -0700
Thank you. Makes a lot more sense now. ;-)

I'm still not sure how you'd calculate the exposure duration. I'm sure
there's some kind of formula that explains it. Still, if it takes that
long for the sensor to traverse the image it's probably still a fairly
long exposure unless the sensor is seeing a *very* small slice of the
image at a time. Interesting technology. Seems to yield amazing images.

If that's what Gursky is using I was amazed at some of the images he
was showing at MOMA. Some of them were 15-20 feet wide and had so much
detail that I'd find myself with my face a couple of inches from the
image looking at what it said on someone's T-shirt in a crowd or what
kind of cigarettes someone was smoking. He had one that covered an
entire soccer field and you could examine each player in the kind of
detail that you usually only see in a closeup. That kind of work is
fascinating to me. It's the ability to really reach out and document a
moment in time with such fine detail that it transports the viewer in a
way.