[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:23:02 -0400
Yes, and I complained to Olympus that the AFL (mode 3) with S-AF+M
did not allow you to tweak the focus after it was locked. Now, with
the latest firmware (1.2), if you use that mode, lock focus with the
AEL/AFL button, you can manually tweak the focus when the
shutter is half depressed. The advantage over straight manual
focus mode is that the focus will not accidentally change, it will
only change with a half-depress of the shutter. Great when you
pre-focus in anticipation, or are using the RM-1 remote and
you can't monitor the auto-focus and don't want to worry about
bumping the focus in MF mode. Also, S-AF+MF will re-auto-focus
if you don't hold the shutter half depressed, so the mode 3 AFL
can save the shutter finger muscles.

The only problem I have is the occasion when I accidentally
lock focus and I don't notice it right away. Sometimes I would like
a NO-OP mode for the AEL button.

Olympus does not recommend auto-focus if you use the
extension tube. The 25mm extension with the 50-200 will not
auto-focus. However, the straight 14-54 will close auto-focus
with the occasional hunt. Most of the time I am shooting macro
I have time to MF. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting
for the wind to die down and I'm not swatting mosquitos.

Wayne