[OM] Re: Velvia 100F Color Cast question

Subject: [OM] Re: Velvia 100F Color Cast question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
> All the reviews I read in the UK commented on this problem. If
> you push it to 200 it becomes really noticeable. Most of the
> reviewers had it in mind as a higher saturation version of
> provia that would be great for pushing, but the cast was too
> strong. I haven't used it much but did notice the slight cast
> - perhaps thay were trying to compete with the newer Kodak pro
> films which tend to be 'warm'?

Yuck!  I'm sorry, but Kodak's idea of saturation and mine are
two different things.  Velvia 100F does retain the same look and
feel of the older version, but I do see easily spot the
following:

1. Cleaner scans with less pepper grain.
2. Slight yellow tinge (could have been a bad batch or two)
3. Smoother skies.
4. Greens are pretty similar, reds seem to pop better.
5. Blues are not brilliant blue, but some off shade.
6. Not nearly as "edgy sharp".
7. Blacks are blacker.
8. Seems slightly more tolerant with highlights.

The pictures look like I had a very light warming filter on the
lens. My ancient Zuikos tend towards the warm side anyway, but
the same characteristic appeared with the newer 24/2.8 and also
IS-3 which is definitely not a warm lens.

The advantages of shooting Velvia 100F still offsets this tonal
shift.  The color correction during scanning appears to fix this
in *most* cases. I am bothered by the shifted blue in the skies
though and will needs to figure something out there.

One oddity with noting:  I've profiled the scanner with a
borrowed (thanks Joel) IT-8 target. If I use this profile, the
sky color-shift is accentuated.  But if I let Vuescan just do
it's thing with "built-in" profile, the color correction is OK.

Like I said, I only really noticed the color shift once I
started filing the slides in sheets with previous work.

At least they didn't turn magenta like what happens when you
"cook" them.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail