[OM] Re: RAW files aren't just for cameras.

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW files aren't just for cameras.
From: "David Irisarri" <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:11:59 +0200
Hello David,

It´s true Vuescan is now loading camera raw image files since 8.0 version
appeared. I think you are a little bit confused with precision bits colour.
A/D converters from old scanners, were 8 bit per channel and itwas a
nightmare to capture detail into very dense slides. If you increase your A/D
precison bit like Nikon LS-4000 ED 14 bit per channel, you´ll get wider
dynamic range and much better detail in dense slides. But if you add RGB
channels, (14+14+14) you´ll get a 42 bit precison image. Now you can imagine
from where is comming 48 bit (16+16+16). I don´t know any scanner into the
market with a dynamic range of 108 bit colour precision. Another important
thing is: It´s good to scan with the highest colour precision bits for
working into PS without losing data with your image adjustments; but when
you get your final image and you only want to save it, it´s time to convert
it to 24 bit becasue it´s plenty enough. (16,7 million colours) ;-)
I am working hard to get an Olympus E1 profile for 5500 ºK daylight. Vuescan
creates them with a very high precision, using 4096 points to create a TRC
curve. Gretagmacbeth Profilemaker only uses 512 points and you can see
clipping into your images and colour accuracy doesn´t work very well with
Digital Cameras. Maybe the new version 5, is better. I also have used Monaco
Profiler, Little CMS, XL Profiler, and Vuescan is the real winner!!! This
software is absolutely outstanding. If you want to create a very good
profile for your camera RAW images, buy Wolf Faust IT8/2 input targets.
And the last thing, PS works with 8bit and 16 bit images. If you have a 36
bit per channel drum scanner, PS will convert your image to 16 bit per
channel image. ;-)

I hope to help you with this.

Best regards,

David Irisarri