[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:08:42 -0300

On Aug 3, 2004, at 8:45 PM, Moose wrote:

> Not that quickly. I can't imagine that a 30 year old one will be as
> much good as a 30 year old OM is today, but it won't go down like a
> rock by any means. The downfall of these likely won't be obsolesence
> so much as uneconomic repairs after a few years if they go wrong. The
> D60 is 'obsolete' compared to the 10D or even the 300D, but still
> capable of excellent results and holding its value remarkably well and
> the 1Ds far exceeds the D60s capabilities.
>
> Moose

I think this is one of the bigger advantages to buying higher-end
computer equipment, you do get a longer lifespan. The general trend is
that something newer will come out at the top of the line but the
former top of the line technology trickles down from there. Really in
terms of obsolescence, I'd be much more concerned with buying something
at the bottom end because the next innovation will bump it right off as
better stuff drops in price.

For example, 2-3 megapixel cameras are still extremely common. A few
years ago they were the absolute top of the line. Now they're basically
the entry level  digital.

Or to put it another way, if any given computer product has a product
life then buying that's top of the line will get you the full length of
it's product life. Entry level equipment tends to be technology that's
at the end of it's product life.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/