[OM] Re: Noise versus pixel area in image sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise versus pixel area in image sensors
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:09:13 -0400
At 3:32 AM +0200 8/3/04, Listar wrote:
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Noise versus pixel area in image sensors
>Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:58:15 -0700
>

>Additional pixels are being added faster than any development of basic
>science relating to circuit noise, I think. The result is that noise
>algorithms are being developed and added with some further degradation
>of the image. I think the 4/3 and APS systems will be a thing of the
>past by the time there are any further significant breakthroughs in
>circuit noise.  I suspect that manufacturing of large sensors may
>become more efficient sooner and that we will all be back to full frame
>sensors, digital instead of chemical, and our viewfinders will be big
>and bright again. Could be wrong though.

I think pixels are being added simply because consumers think
megapixel counts are all you need to know.

Given that current image sensors are not up against a basic limit,
Moore's Law will apply, and we can expect performance to double every
18 months or so.  So, you will be wrong.  The only question is how
long it will take to achieve this.

Joe Gwinn