[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:15:25 +0100
Winsor

On 4 Aug 2004, at 9:59, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I was not really trying to pursuade, just to congratulate Walt on his
> choice.

Oh, I thought you were ... :-)

> I am really not sure what you mean by luminance range. If you
> are talking about zones as used by Ansel Adams, what is the usual
> opinion on slide film, 5 1/2 stops? Here is a Nikon site where what he
> calls dynamic range on Nikon digital SLRs range from 6+ to 8+ stops. It
> confirms my subjective experience that its exposure range is a little
> wider than slide film.
>
> http://www.bythom.com/dslrcomp.htm

Thanks for that Winsor;  I had a quick scan (ho ho!) of it, but your
use of the description "subjective" remains the major factor for me.  I
have not used a Nikon, so I shall have to accept this chap's written
word for the quality.  However, the more I read, the less I feel the
need for digital as an improvement in my photography.  When I can take
good enough shots with film (or with my little G5 digicam) I shall feel
able to move to another system – for me as yet unproven as an
improvement.

I might have a go at printing a comparison for myself (as you have
done) for my peace of mind.

Chris

p.s. don't you ever go to sleep Winsor?  That is the second time that I
have noticed you posting at some unearthly time in the morning. cb

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.

+44 (0)7092 251126