[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:48:57 +0100 (BST)

> Nah. I'll be last. Cost is an issue, and I am unlikely to be considering
> replacement of my system before I become moribund or stiff.
>
> Also, my experiences with my wife's holiday photos, taken on a Fuji S5000,
> have been instructive. Nothing to do with quality or such. I have them on
> the hard drive. They are now copied to CD. The cards are wiped. I feel
> insecure about their survival. How many copies to make me feel secure?
I have found that good quality blanks such as tdk have lasted 8 years or
more so far...

> Actually, one copy would suffice, if I could hold it up to the light to
> check its condition. All I see with the CD is my ugly mug looking back...
You can tell quite a lot from looking at a recordable cd. Especially the
early ones with blue due. You can see the table of contents, estimate how
much data is on the disk and see if there are multiple sessions etc..