[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:16:26 -0400
Your conclusion for the practicality of 4x5/MF vs. DSLR is where I've come to
also.  99.5% of paying customers don't want/need/appreciate the improved
technology or detail afforded by large format or medium format.

OT: I talked to a friend of mine this week who is shooting some race tracks for
the owner, Roger Penske, and using a Fuji 6x17, as the resulting prints will be
8-10 feet long!  Now that's where you need something better than a DSLR for
real quality impact.

Most of us, given our druthers and an infinite amount of time/money, would
search out the best, most perfect, highest resolution equipment for everything.
 This would give us the "best" results.  But the dimishing returns offered by
such efforts and the lack of appreciation lead me to abandon 35mm, MF and LF
for most of my work.  It's just too much of a hassle for little return.  Now if
you're talking about personal satisfaction or high-end, fine-art photos, that's
something different.

Increasingly, I'm leaning towards the following for my photo needs in order of
usage.  (Now that I put this down, it's pretty shocking to me.)

1. 85-90%: DSLR (E-1) for day-to-day shooting
2. 3-6%    Hassleblad X-Pan I for panoramas or unique viewpoints
3. 2-4%    Canon G2, Contax T2, or Olympus XA for carry-everywhere shots
4. 2-4%    OM, Leica for B&W, slides, fisheye, or 14mm ultra-wide-angle
5. 1-2%    Various old 6x6, 6x7, or 35mm for nostagia or fun

Skip