[OM] [OT] Xpan (was Re: Re: Selling out)

Subject: [OM] [OT] Xpan (was Re: Re: Selling out)
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:47:11 -0400
The Hassleblad X-Pan (or Fuji TX-1) uses 35mm film and produces a negative
24x62mm, so it fits into 120 enlargers, scanners, etc.  There isn't a 6cm
digital back for less than $25,000, if it's even available.

The first-generation cameras, like mine, can be had for $1000-1100 with the
45mm lens.  The finish doesn't hold up well, so many are heavily scuffed.  The
silver Fuji is typically 10-20% less money, and is exactly the same camera.
The current, $6-800 more, second version offers viable IR performance, shows
info in the finder, and has better external viewing of readouts.  The first
version has an IR film counter, so it fogs IR film.  Also it's a Fuji camera,
which extracts all the film from the camera when you close the back, winding it
back in as you shoot.  The camera also offers both 62mm panorama and normal
36x24mm frames on the same roll, with no blank space.  It moves the film back
and forth if you change the format mid-roll to keep the frame spacing equal.

They only offer three lenses, 45, 90, and a $2,500 30mm/5.6 Aspherical
(w/center spot filter).  The 45/4.5 has the same FOV as a 35mm's 28mm lens,
whereas the 30 is equal to an 18mm!  I'll likely get a 90 someday, which are
about $500.  The 45 could use the $240 center spot filter shot at f/4.5-5.6.
Most vignetting disappears at f/8 or below.

It's a neat camera, and very well made.

Skip