[OM] Re: V8 shoehorning; was Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: V8 shoehorning; was Selling out
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:35:29 -0700
Sure. Porsche put the 6 from the 911 in the 914 briefly. I had a
neighbor who had one back in the 70s. His was actually a conversion, but
a very authentic one, even had the genuine badges bought as spares. I
had a 911 at the time. The 914-6 was certainly impressive in most
aspects of performance, but I much preferred the 911 overall. For one
thing, the engine was about 18 inches from your head behind a single
pane of glass. The air cooled 911 engine was never quiet and this was
back in the time of dual 3 barrel carbs on that engine, one 2 inch
opening for each cylinder with a very short distance from intake to
combustion chamber and the 914-6 had an abbreviated airfilter/intake
setup compared to the 911 due to space. Driving any distance in that
thing with such a din in ones ears would be painful.

At that, I drove a visiting German exec from our Hamburg office around
in the 911 and he complained about the noise level. Later in Germany, he
drove me around in a big Mercedes at 125 mph.

Moose