[OM] Re: cleaning negatives

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning negatives
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:21:04 -0700
on 8/4/04 2:18 AM, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am enjoying using my minolta dual scan IV to archive my negatives in raw
> mode 48 bit colour onto on to DVD. Now I have got a new monitor and
> realise that the washed out colours and grey grain I was getting was
> actually the poor performance of a tired 7 year old monitor and not the
> scanner or grain on the film!
>
> However, with my nice shinny new 19" minotor running in higher resolution
> I have noticed the odd finger print on some of the scans. So any advice on
> how the clean the negatives to get off this grease?
>
> Regards
> James

A good photo store should have some film/negative cleaner, which is safe for
the emulsion and base, but should cut the grease off. Look in a store that
still sells darkroom chemicals and equipment... if there are any left. :-p

They probably also sell white cotton gloves, lint-free, which will help in
handling the strips, as you can't always hold them by the edges.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...